Los Angeles, Skid row is my home.
Let me first start by saying this movie which is named in the header of this article, touched me deeply, deeply, deeply. It's really a documentary rather then a movie per say.
It can be found on Net Flicks I urge everyone to take some time and watch it, if you have not done so yet. I have always had a need to help the less fortunate, especially those on the streets. Having been there myself once many many many moons ago, during a time in my adolescent years. I have failed to find the avenue to make my need a realization as of yet. In the last few months especially I have had this burning desire to do something, to help, do something our homeless need. My first thought was food, they most definitely need food, we all need food, without it we perish.
I posted an article on my local Craigslist requesting others with the same passion to reply and give me their ideas, I had 3 people get back to me. None really offered me any valuable information.
As I watched this documentary today, One of the homeless men, said "we need help from people real help not just handing out sandwiches. And it's true. What they need most I think is somewhere they can be without being mistreated or harassed by their piers and or the police. I learned form this documentary that some homeless just don't want to be anywhere else other then the streets, others, the majority need psychological help, due to untreated mental illness. We need more low income housing, and I mean low, men especially need this, there is more help available to women then to men. There are more shelters for women, not so much for the opposite sex. But it is needed. We need doctors, psychiatrist, social workers and any other types of human resource workers to volunteer their services so that we as a group can figure out how to best address this growing issue. I feel that the majority of the middle class population rather not deal with it, as long as the homeless are out of sight, they are also out of mind. unfortunately just because we don't see it, doesn't mean it's not real. It is our duty to help fix this growing problem in out communities. Instead of helping to fix the issue at hand the homeless are being ticketed, arrested, they are loosing what little they have, and on top of all the misfortune being cited, Hello what part are we not clear on, Homeless= no money or little of it. what is the good in arresting and ticketing these people other then benefiting the community.
being homeless really can happen to anyone, at any given time, be it by loosing our jobs or something else, it certainly is a possibility. We need to put our head and heart together and fix this. I would love to hear from the readers, I want to know what you think of this, any suggestions you may have on how it can be fixed or addressed. If I ever win the lottery, I will definitely fix a lot on my own, unfortunately until then, I am asking for assistance from everyone. Say a prayer for our homeless, and lets come together and make a change...
No comments:
Post a Comment